1300 ERGT AU (1300 3748 28)
You are here:
This course is designed for personnel working on sea vessels who require the Certificate of Safety Training (CoST) issued by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) or Standards of Training and Certification for Watchkeepers (STCW) certificates. This course is one of the four short course requirements for the AMSA issued CoST. The individuals attending the course will range from new inexperienced workers to experienced workers from the Maritime and Oil and Gas industries.
This training provides the skills and knowledge required to survive emergencies at sea. This applies to seafarers working in the maritime industry from both Australian and International vessels requiring a CoST.
DURATION: 1.5 Days
The expected learning outcomes for the Basic Safety and Security Awareness Training in Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Code A VI/1-1) include the ability to:
- Survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment
The expected learning outcomes for this Nationally Recognised Training unit MARF009 Survive at sea in the event of vessel abandonment are:
- Respond to emergency
- Launch survival craft and rescue boats
- Operate survival craft and rescue boats
- Operate lifesaving and survival equipment on board survival craft and rescue boats
- Assume responsibility for survival of crew and passengers
RECOMMENDED SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
In order for ERGT to deliver the training and assessment in the timeframe specified for this course, it is desirable (but not mandatory) that trainees come to the course with a specific range of skills and knowledge as listed:
- Maritime experience on coastal or larger vessels
- Watchkeeping skills
- Abandonment procedures
- Knowledge of ships procedures
- Hazards and risks in the maritime environment
- Common types of emergencies at sea
ERGT have identified the following supporting courses that contribute to your ability to meet the desired skills and knowledge. These are:
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities STCW Reg VI/1 and Code Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-4
- Security Awareness Training STCW Reg VI/6 and Code Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/6-1
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting STCW Reg VI/1 and Code Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-2
If you do not have the recommended skills and knowledge please contact ERGT to discuss your options.
Upon successful completion trainees will be issued with a Basic Safety and Security Awareness Training in:
Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Reg VI/1 and Code Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-1)
Trainees will also be issued with a Statement of Attainment in:
MARF009 Survive at sea in the event of vessel abandonment
The Statement of Attainment issued for the Nationally Recognised Unit listed above is not required by ASQA to be revalidated.
It is an AMSA requirement to successfully revalidate this training by completing a Personal Survival Training Continued Competence course every 5 years.
STRUCTURE & ASSESSMENT
This course is delivered through classroom presentations, activities and participant discussion as well as practical components within a simulated workplace environment.
Trainees are assessed through written and practical assessment.
Copyright ERGT. All Rights Reserved